The Health Educator will educate minority individuals living with HIV/AIDS on the importance of medical and medication adherence. This position works specifically with this target community which is largely underserved, marginalized and stigmatized to impact change and increase access to services and care. They will assist them in becoming and maintaining adherence by accompanying them to their medical appointments, providing 1-on-1 support and group facilitation. The Health Educator links clients to health care, medical case management, psychosocial, and other services necessary for client to achieve good health outcomes.
- Key functions include:
(1) Assessment of service needs and barriers to treatment adherence;
(2) Development of a comprehensive, individualized service plan to address the barriers;
(3) Coordination of services required to implement the plan and attain adherence;
(4) Client monitoring to assess the efficacy of the plan; and
(5) Periodic re-evaluation and adaptation of the plan as necessary.
- Implement the program’s group education curriculum about HIV/AIDS, adherence and issues related to the disease through use of appropriate evidenced based research, up-to-date videos, assignments, guest speakers, and utilizing culturally appropriate materials.
- Develop mechanisms to identify individuals who are minorities and non-adherent with the medical treatment
- Assist client in creating treatment plan goals to ensure medical and medication adherence, in an effort to increase healthy outcomes.
- Arrange linkage to medical case management and other services for clients.
- Work collaboratively with medical providers, other community partners, members of client’s treatment team, and other agency personnel to coordinate medical care.
- Intensive monitoring of client’s health outcomes; tracking and charting lab results
- Accurate and complete documentation of activity through case notes, assessments and other forms.
- Advocate for appropriate services for client based on need and assessment.
- Foster client independence though informing clients about systems of care and teaching the client to navigate these systems whenever possible.
- Conduct visits with clients in varying settings including in the community, medical offices, and the client’s home
- Provide trainings and outreach in the community as needed.
- Bachelors Degree in the human services/health related field OR comparable years of qualifying experience, (experience in education and HIV prevention activities preferred)
- Minimum of one year work experience within a social service setting or equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills and Competencies Required:
- Must be able to communicate proficiently in English and possess working knowledge of HIV/AIDS.
- Awareness and sensitivity to cultural differences, varying sexual orientations, and psychosocial issues concerning the AIDS pandemic.
- Must be able to understand and use word processing and basic computer software programs.
- Ability to recognize and adhere to professional boundaries and standards.
- Ability to make decisions based on good judgment.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing environment.
- Ability to use de-escalation techniques.
- Ability to work independently in varying settings, specific to position, such as in the jails and off-site clinic.
- Must complete all required and ongoing trainings necessary to maintain current knowledge of HIV treatment and education principles.
- Meet and maintain established Minimum Standards of Care
- Consistently meet all contract requirements and goals
- Professional behavior at all times
- Quality service delivery to clients and providers
- Maintain compliance with agency standards and expectations
- Must possess and maintain valid Florida driver’s license and proof of insurance
- Must have reliable and accessible auto vehicle.
- Must pass necessary fingerprinting, Level II background checks and employment eligibility verification through the U. S. Department of Homeland Security’s E-Verify system, https://e-verify.uscis.gov/emp.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com